There are a growing number of different Kratom products and strains now available. Most people familiar with consuming this plant have used dried or powdered leaves that can be brewed into tea, cooked into food, and then enjoyed to receive its many benefits.
Using the leaves isn’t the only way to harness Kratom’s power, and there are some exciting new options out there to explore. Kratom extract is one of these alternative methods worth looking into as it can deliver a potent dose of the plant quickly and effectively.
What is Kratom Extract?
Kratom extract is a concentrated liquid that contains high levels of the desirable alkaloids that create the effects experienced when consuming the plant. This concentrated version of Kratom is often made using the leaves or powder made from the leaves of the Mitragyna speciosa (Kratom) plant originating in Southeast Asia, specifically in Malaysia, Thailand, and Myanmar. The result is a potent extract that can provide you with a highly absorbable and fast-acting way to enjoy Kratom.
There are multiple methods used to create botanical extractions, and they can turn just about any plant into an extract. You might already be familiar with some commonly used options in the form of herbs, tinctures, and other products in extracted form. The extraction process pulls desirable compounds out of plant material into a liquid, wax, or oil that can be used as a carrier for these sought after plant molecules.
Mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine are two of the most abundant kratom alkaloids. Kratom extract will have high levels of this alkaloid content, providing numerous benefits in a smaller dose that is more readily available than the leaves in their raw or powdered forms.
How is Kratom Extract Made?
There are several different methods for creating botanical extracts ranging from simple techniques to processes requiring a full-fledged pharmaceutical laboratory. Traditional Kratom extracts are still made somewhat simply, but as the plant’s use and acceptance grow, so does explorations in extracts made from it.
The most basic extraction method that almost everyone is aware of, whether you know it or not, is tea. Kratom tea a hot water extract if you look at it from a technical perspective. This is the same as any tea from your favorite morning brew to medicinal or herbal varieties. A basic Kratom extract would involve boiling dried or powdered leaves for hours with the end result being an extract that’s more powerful than regular tea.
But tea isn’t an extract for the purposes of what we want to take a look at here. Another method used to create the best Kratom extracts involves both water and alcohol to pull alkaloids and other powerful compounds from the plant matter. This process entails placing Kratom leaves and/or powder into a large airtight container with water and alcohol. The mixture is then agitated (stirred) thoroughly and left to sit for several weeks.
After sitting for this time, the plant compounds are extracted into liquid, and it thickens up into a dark, syrup-like substance. The plant matter is then filtered or strained away leaving behind Kratom extract.
Other common methods for botanical products such as microwave-assisted extraction, solid-phase micro-extraction, pressurized-liquid extraction, and supercritical-fluid extraction can also be used to create Kratom extracts. These methods aren’t quite as popular as the more traditional methods described earlier, but as the plant’s popularity grows, so will the methods used to make desirable products from it.
The Difference Between Kratom Extract, Pills, and Powder
The main difference between Kratom extract and other popular products derived from the plant, such as pills or powder, is due to potency. And this is where Kratom extract has a definite advantage over other forms of consumption. Extracts are also known as concentrates, and this very much describes the difference – a Kratom extract is a concentrated version of Kratom powder.
A pill or capsule of Kratom also contains this powder, so while they provide a good means to measure dosage, Kratom capsules won’t give you any more of a potent result than when consuming Kratom powder. There is nothing wrong with products containing Kratom powder like kratom extract capsules, an full spectrum extract can often provide more value by giving you access to more of the beneficial compounds derived from the plant.
Another difference between Kratom extract and other Kratom products is the small and convenient manner in which extracts can be consumed. Kratom extracts typically come in a small tincture bottle with a dropper that you can use to place a dose under your tongue or into water or other liquid for consumption. You don’t have to prepare an extract for use like you do when using Kratom powder.
Why Use Kratom Extract?
There are plenty of reasons to use Kratom extract, and it is becoming a popular way to enjoy the plant as extraction-based products are more readily available. That said, here are some reasons why you might want to use Kratom extract over other forms of the plant.
- If you don’t like the consistency or taste of Kratom powder – Kratom extract powder can have a very strong taste that some people don’t enjoy. If you are looking for an alternative way to enjoy the benefits of Kratom without the taste, extracts are worth exploring.
- One of the best things about kratom extract is that you can usually easily find the same types of kratom strains that you would find in other delivery methods. Some of the most popular strains for kratom extract are Bali Kratom, Thai Kratom, Maeng Da Kratom, Borneo Kratom as well as their green vein, white vein and red vein varieties.
- If you want potent, quick-acting results – Extracts are a more potent Kratom product than other available options. This is due to the concentrated nature of extracts and how they can pull the beneficial alkaloids out of the plant material. Extracts are often fast to absorb within the body as well which means quick-acting results. This makes extract popular among kratom users who want to minimize chronic pain relief without the side effects of pain medication.
- If you want a very convenient way to enjoy the benefits of Kratom – Kratom extract is very easy to use. One way is to just place a few drops or dropperfuls (depending on your desired dose) under your tongue. You can also add it to any food or beverage with ease. This makes it one of the most convenient ways to get the kratom experience.
- Value – A concentrated product can provide you with higher amounts of beneficial alkaloids than other forms of Kratom. This means you can get more value out of a high quality Kratom extract as it provides you with more doses overall.
- Of course you always want to check with your doctor before using any sort of ultra-pure alkaloid product like kratom. Even if you buy the highest quality product, there is a chance it might not work for you. Since Kratom isn’t currently approved by the FDA in the United States, neither is kratom extract. If you have a serious medical condition, always check with your doctor for additional information before using kratom as an alternative to other medications.